I am mesmerized by stats. No, not in the “it’s the only thing that matters” or defines me kind of way, but I have always been a numbers geek (a degree in Accounting will do that to a person). I excel at Excel and charts and graphs make me giddy.
So from time to time I spend some moments looking at the various analytics both WordPress and Google provide. I find this fun (just me? ok, then…) but also necessary as a blogger as well as interesting, and sometimes downright comical.
These are the Top 10 sites that refer traffic to me (in order of #):
- Facebook. As annoying as the FB Page algorithms have become, this stands to reason. I belong to a few Facebook groups that have daily link love posts where you share your blog posts.
- Google search. More later about the most searched terms. But for someone who knows nothing about SEO, I’m impressed by this being so high!
- Twitter. When I first started blogging, I didn’t understand Twitter. Now, I love it and use it often to share and engage with others. It’s probably my favorite social media platform.
- Bloglovin. Thanks for subscribing peeps!
- Refinery29.com: you remember that little online mention?
- PittsburghMarathon.com: as a result of being a Run Home Blogger! Thanks for visiting!!!
- Eat Pray Run, DC. Yes my BRF sends me a lot of traffic – thanks, girl
- Inlinks. This is the site we use for our weekly linkups.
- You Signed Up for What?! My second fellow DC Trifecta buddy, thanks, girl!
- Active Life DC. Another site where I’ve been featured (here and here) and continue to receive traffic from.
You saw Google search was #2 on the traffic list and the most searched for term to get here is simply “Mar on THE Run” (though many like to type “teh” haha, whatever works autocorrect!)
However, I do see some funny or just plain random searches:
- funny things to post on instagram (this is a big one and I can’t figure out why…)
- take a break to sleep (bloggers note: LOL!)
- marine marathon route water fountains handles taken off is on shutdown list (one of my favorites!)
- Yancey Thigpen gets married (because of this perhaps?)
- dirty your ecards (bloggers note 2: LOL!!)
- pedicure ticklish
- it’s going down I’m yelling Timber (well, yeah…)
- And this one isn’t funny but it totally melts my heart someone found my blog this way: “inspirational marathon friendships” AWWW!
Spam. I use the Askimet plugin to catch and rid my site of SPAM comments. I will occasionally go through them before they are permanently deleted for 2 reasons. One is in case any real comments get caught and two, because some of the comments are simply high comedy:
“I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was good. I don’t know who you are but definitely you are going to a famous blogger if you aren’t already Cheers!” (wow, famous?! *blushing!*)
“I have not checked in here for some time since I thought it was getting boring, but the last few posts are great quality so I guess I’ll add you back to my daily bloglist. You deserve it friend!” (umm, thanks?)
“The very next time I read a blog, hopefully it won’t fail me as much as this particular one. I mean, I know it was my choice to read through, but I genuinely thought you’d have something helpful to say. All I hear is a bunch of moaning about something that you could fix if you weren’t too busy looking for attention.” (ouch!! this would hurt if it wasn’t attached to a fake Louis Vuitton website and spam email address, lol)
“It’s ɑ shame уоu don’t have a donate button! ӏ’d mοst certaіnly donate tto thіs outstancing blog! Ӏ suppose for now i’ll settle fоr bookmarking аոd adding ƴoսr RSS feed to my Google account. Ӏ look forward to fresh updates andd աill talk aboսt this blog witҺ my Facebook ǥroup. Talk ѕoon!” (hmm, donations – never thought of that! and sooo many typos) ha!
Where’s everybody from?! My visitors come from all states and countries but these are the Top 5 places: DC, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Maryland and New York.
Ok, thanks for letting me get my geek on. And thanks for all the blog love 🙂 Happy Wednesday!!