Another week, another Friday Five. You guys have all been so awesome with the linkup!! Cynthia, Courtney and I have enjoyed the weekly posts from our “regulars” and glad to see SO many new “faces”! And YES, we read every. single. one. This week our Friday Five is all about places we’d like to run.
I’ve run along the trails and terrain of Santa Barbara, along the skyline of Chicago, the backdrop of Pittsburgh, Boston’s streets and the historic roads of D.C. From North Carolina to Texas there are so many places I have been fortunate enough to visit as much as my budget and feet would allow. But this world is a BIG place and there are definitely many more!! Not all on this list are necessarily for a race-cation but… I think I need some time off STAT!
1. Madrid, Spain. Believe it or not for someone who travels as often as I do I have never traveled out of the country (Canada excluded and *hangs head in shame*). First and foremost on my must see list is Spain. I have been eying Rock n’ Roll Madrid for awhile now and after seeing my buddy Helly’s post on her experience there (and my ensuing jealousy!) it has shot to the top of my race bucket list. It is scheduled for next April which gives me plenty of time to plan!! So… any takers?? The only downside is the Pittsburgh half is the following weekend. (hmm, I am a Half Fanatic after all 😉 .
2. New England. I spent many years running in Boston on the banks of the Charles River. I also ran a race or two in Hyannis and Plymouth. This was a time before running/racing/racecationing went hand in hand for me! I’d love to get back to New England and actually, run, race, and explore more of the Cape and shores of the smaller states like Rhode Island and New Hampshire – places I called “home” for so long.
3. Bermuda. I love all things ocean and water in general (that’s the Pisces in me). Virginia Beach and Outer Banks are the closest I’ve come to beach running but the opportunity to run in such a paradise as Bermuda would be heavenly!! Mar might be going broke in 2015 😉
4. Santorini, Greece. Ahh, this is my idea of heaven for sure. I had a landlord in Boston who was from Greece and would spend considerable time in the summer back “home”. I’ve wanted to go there for a loooooong time! I came across this article in Runner’s World about a 6 mile path between Fira and Oia on the Island. Um, yes please!
5. Great Falls, VA. This is a bit of a cheat move. I have never been to Great Falls and it’s on my list to go hiking there sometime soon. I’ve also really gotten into trail running the past year and signed up for the North Face Endurance Challenge in a couple of weeks. I’m scheduled to do the 10K (because I learned my lesson on June trail half marathons!) and because I wanted a shorter race to be able to enjoy some of the sights after. The course runs on the Potomac Heritage Trail and I’m hopeful to get in a little waterfall viewing fun!