Happy Friday peeps! For this weeks Friday Five Cynthia, Courtney and I went with “Racing Rituals”. My first thought was – umm, I don’t have “rituals” per se. I follow a similar line of thinking but am not superstitious and don’t always have to eat the same or dress the same or carry that super secret lucky charm. I thought I’d give more of my thought process leading up to race day.
1. Hydrating. For races on Sunday I start with additional hydration patterns on Thursday. Water is my substance of choice on a daily basis regardless but I increase my intake, namely with SmartWater (or Electrolyte 365 from Whole Foods) and also include at least one bottle of Gatorade each day.
2. Stretching. The evening before race day is spent in good company with my first love, Mr. Foam Roller. I also try to incorporate some yoga poses, namely downward down and cobra inversions.
3. Carb loading. I know some out there don’t do this, but I think it’s valuable. I always have some type of pasta with as little sauce as possible and often simply use olive oil. I try to stay away from cream sauces, dairy, and heavy cheeses. And yes, I do include a beer 😉
4. Rest mode. The day before the race is spent in as much relaxation mode as possible. I try to get to bed earlier than usual, though adrenaline always gets me and sleep can be restless.
5. Flat Mar. Getting my gear together for the morning is always an important part of the racing process. Making sure I have fuel/fuel belt, Garmin, shoes, socks, bib, etc. I like to get to the start line as close as possible to gun time of the race so not much preparation is needed in the am (besides, I like sleep).
TGIF! What are some your pre-race preparations? Any races this weekend?