After many days of blizzard clean up and being cooped up indoors we’ve made it to Friday. Joining Cynthia and Courtney for the Friday Five and this week is another “Free Friday” and I’m talking about Self-Care. The idea of self-care is to be intentional about your needs and overall well being – mind, body and spirit and is unique to the individual. You shouldn’t ever feel guilty about taking care of yourself.
Whether it’s 5 minutes or 5 hours, here are 5 ways to practice self-care:
- Create a daily ritual. 10 minutes alone in the bathroom, making that morning cup of tea or coffee, a morning prayer, journal entry, meditation – you name it. Just something you can look forward to, be focused or intentional about on a consistent basis. Daily too daunting? Start with weekly or monthly.
- Exercise. Training for events aside, this could be as simple as a short (or long) walk or hike. Just 20 minutes to yourself with nature can make all the difference.
- Give yourself a spa day. No, I’m not talking about an expensive all day adventure. Turn your bathroom into a sanctuary with candles and bath salts or essential oils and maybe your favorite tunes in the background!
- Unplug. By now you know this is one of my personal favorites. 🙂 While I tend to do it for an entire weekend, an hour or even a day can bring so much more awareness and intention back in your life.
- Let go of negativity. Thoughts, people and anything that doesn’t make you feel good – get rid of it! If you can’t delete people from social media, unfollow (Facebook) or mute them (Twitter). Trust me, those functions are worth figuring out. Use it to your advantage.
How do you practice self-care? What’s on tap for the weekend?