Happy Friday and Memorial Day weekend! I hope you have some fun plans in store and also take some time to honor those who gave their lives while serving. Joining Courtney and Cynthia for our weekly Friday Five linkup where today is “free” Friday. The annual National Running Day was always the first Wednesday in June. It has morphed into a worldwide celebration and is now Global Running Day and since it’s coming up next week (June 1) I’m sharing 5 ways to celebrate!
1. Well obviously the first and BEST way to celebrate is by lacing up and hitting the pavement. Even better is to grab a buddy or two (or 3 or 4!) and get your run on together!
2. Pledge to run. The Global Running Day website has a tool where you can pledge to run on June 1 and an option to log a specific distance.There is also a million kid run so if you have kiddoes, pledge them too!
3. Visit/support your local running store. If you’re unable to run or just in need of some gear or supplies – wait until Wednesday and check out what your local stores have to offer. Some might even be having events for the occasion.
4. Sign up for a race! Race discounts will be everywhere on this day so if you’ve been waiting or on the fence, keep your eyes peeled for a Global Running day deal.
5. Give back! I have several friends running fall marathons for charity (I’m looking at you Helly and Courtney). It’s been on my to do list to get to them all so I plan on taking a few minutes on Wednesday to support their efforts!
And since I’m on the topic of charity, every year the United Way of the National Capital Area has a 24 hour campaign called Do More 24 to raise funds in support of local non-profits. One of my favorite local organizations is obviously Girls on the Run DC. I’ll be back coaching in the fall and would love the support to this amazing organization in celebration of Global Running Day. Consider doing more on Thursday, June 2 (or before then if so inclined!!) Visit their donation page for more information and locals (or those who want to support the DC chapter) consider giving a gift during Do More 24 on Thursday, June 2 – the day after Global Running Day.
Cheers to a long – and warm – weekend!! Any plans for Memorial Day? are you looking forward to Global Running Day?